If you know us, at all, then you know we are about as big a fans of Hamilton: An American Musical that you’ll find. So, that also makes us super excited about the smash-hit’s debut on Disney+ on July 3rd. To celebrate this upcoming momentous occasion, we’ve decided to provide you with a few cocktail recipes inspired by Lin-Manuel Miranda’s masterpiece.
- Note: If you’re looking for an introduction to Hamilton, to get you prepared for it’s upcoming release on Disney+, be sure to check out the first of our 2 part crossover Hyperion Adventures Podcast episodes exploring this cultural phenomenon. Give our Hamilton 101 with Part of Our World Podcast episode. Then, stay tuned for part 2 on Keenan & Rachael’s show coming soon!
There’s no way we could do a series of Hamilton inspired cocktails with out presenting one that represents the meatiest character in the entire musical. Aaron Burr is a multi-layered personality who contrasts in style to Alexander Hamilton in almost every way. So, that led us to today’s drink that also contrasts our first couple of Hamilton drink representations. You see, our first couple of cocktails have been very tropical and mostly sweet. Like Burr, this one is going in a completely different direction. It’s our recipe for the Aaron Burr-Bon Manhattan.
However, unlike Burr, we won’t make you Wait For It!
The component list for our Aaron Burr-Bon Manhattan is not a lengthy one. The drink, itself, is made up of only 4 ingredients. While the Bourbon and Sweet Vermouth should be easily found in your store, you may have a little bit of difficulty with the Aromatic Bitters and the Orange Bitters. Certainly, any establishment that specializes in the sale of alcohol is likely to have them. However, you may have some difficulty locating them in a standard grocery store. So, keep that in mind on your shopping trip for this cocktail.
One other thing. I’m using a Orange Peel Twist for a garnish because it adds a nice pop of color. (And because it’s what I had handy) If you can find them (or want to create them yourself), a Brandied Cherry is a lovely addition to this cocktail
As you would expect, the directions for our Aaron Burr-bon Manhattan are pretty simple. All you need to do is add the Bourbon, Sweet Vermouth, Aromatic Bitters and Orange Bitters to a mixing glass filled with ice. Stir until well combined and strain into a pair of chilled Martini Glasses. Garnish with and Orange Peel Twist or Brandied Cherry and serve immediately.
If you love a good Bourbon cocktail, then this Aaron Burr-Bon Manhattan will hit the spot. It is also is a very appropriate drink to represent Aaron Burr. The drink is very classy in appearance and has some light, sweet notes. However, in the end, the bitterness comes through in a dramatic way. It’s as layered a cocktail as Burr is as a Hamilton character.
Aaron Burr-Bon Manhattan – A Hamilton Inspired Cocktail
Makes approximately 2 – 8 oz Cocktails
- 4 oz – Bourbon
- 2 oz – Sweet Vermouth
- 4 dashes – Aromatic Bitters
- 2 dashes – Orange Bitters
- 2 – Orange Peel Twists or Brandied Cherries – For Garnish
- Fill a Mixing Glass with Ice. Add the the Bourbon, Sweet Vermouth, Aromatic Bitters and Orange Bitters
- Stir until well blended and strain into 2 chilled Martini Glasses
- Garnish with Orange Peel Twists or Brandied Cherries and serve immediately
Be sure to check out our other Disney Dishes cocktails: