We’re past the Labor Day holiday, so that means we’ve (unofficially) moved into Fall. Along with the change in seasons came the Fall Treats Foodie Guide from Walt Disney World that we look forward to every year. There are always so many tasty treats that we really want the chance to sample on an upcoming trip to Where Dreams Come True.
Unfortunately, with 2020 being as it is, we probably won’t be making an Autumn excursion to Orlando. So, we decided to make a few of these wonderful Disney Dishes at home. We hope you’ll join along with us.
We’re starting with a fairly simple recipe that called out to us on first site. It’s the Pumpkin Spice Waffle Sundae that can be found at Sleepy Hollow. It has Ice Cream, Caramel Sauce, Whipped Cream and Pumpkin Mickey Waffles.
How could we not try this at home?!?
Well, we did, and here’s how we made it!
The components for our Pumpkin Spice Waffle Sundae are pretty straightforward. We laid out a lot all the ingredients your need for the Waffles in last years, Pumpkin Mickey Waffles with Oven “Fried” Chicken recipe. We’ll be using that same process for these, as well.
Along with the Waffles, I will be showing you how to make the Salted Caramel Sauce. Could you buy one in the store? Of course! However, I find this sauce not tremendously difficult to whip up and it’s absolutely delicious.
I did not make the Ice Cream for this recipe. I didn’t feel like breaking out our Ice Cream Maker and, to be honest, it’s more work than I wanted to take on. However, I do have an excellent Vanilla Ice Cream recipe. If you’d like me to send it to you, please hit me up!
Now, I did make the Whipped Cream for this Disney Dish. However, I can’t, in good conscience, suggest that you do the same. It’s just a bit more trouble than it’s worth when you can buy a perfectly good can of the stuff at your store. Once again, though, if you’d like me to share my Whipped Cream Recipe with you, just contact me.
The Salted Caramel Sauce
The Salted Caramel Sauce is the first item you’ll want to put together for our Pumpkin Spice Waffle Sundae. While it takes only about 10 to 15 minutes to create, you’ll want to give it at least a little time to cool before serving it.
To start, add the Granulated Sugar to a thick-bottomed medium sauce pan and place it over medium heat. Cook while stirring regularly with a whisk or a wooden spoon, being careful not to let the Sugar burn.
- Note: Being careful not to let the Sugar burn, isn’t the only thing you should take particular care with. Melted sugar reaches extremely high temperatures. Worse yet, if it splatters on you, it will stick to a spot and be tough to remove. Now, I’m not trying to scare you or dissuade you from working with it. I just want you to know then concerns so you can be safe.
Once the Sugar melts completely and turns a deep amber in color, remove from the heat and add the Unsalted Butter. The mixture will begin to bubble immediately. Whisk until the Butter melts completely and is fully incorporated.
- If it appears like the Butter has separated, slightly, keep whisking. It will eventually come back together.
Next, add the Heavy Cream and whisk until it is completely incorporated.
Stir in the Salt and set aside to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container until ready to serve or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
The Pumpkin Spice Waffles
We move on to the base of our dish and our biggest Pumpkin Spice component; our Pumpkin Mickey Waffles.
- Now, I understand not everyone has a Mickey Waffle Maker like we do. That’s okay! This dish works just as well in a traditional waffle maker. However, we know all things that are shaped like Mickey taste just a little better. So, if you’re interested in adding a little more Disney to your waffles, you can purchase the same Mickey Waffle Maker right here!
To create our batter, we first need to start by separating the Eggs. Place the whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and yolks in a separate, medium sized bowl.
Add the Pumpkin Purée, Milk, and Melted Butter to the Egg Yolks and stir until well combined.
Meanwhile, place the Brown Sugar and Cornstarch in a large bowl and combine. Add the All-Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, and Ground Nutmeg and stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
Next, add the Pumpkin – Egg Yolk mixture to the Flour Mixture and stir until completely combined.
Now it’s time to give our Pumpkin Spice Mickey Waffles the element that makes them light and fluffy; the Egg Whites. Using the electric mixer, whip the Egg Whites until they reach a stiff peak. Similar to what you see in the picture above. This should take about 2 minutes.
Spoon half of the Whipped Egg Whites into the batter and gently fold them into the mixture. You’ll want to be careful not to “deflate” the egg whites so just fold them together until just combined. Add the remaining Egg Whites and fold them in gently, as well.
- If the batter seems a little too thick, you can add a little milk to thin it. Just continue to be careful when combining it so you don’t “deflate” the egg yolks.
Now, we’re ready to cook up our Waffles. Since it isn’t imperative for these to be hot for our Pumpkin Spice Waffle Sundae, you can do this ahead of time and just assemble when the time comes.
Follow your waffle iron’s directions to get it preheated then coat with cooking spray. Add the batter as directed (for our Mickey Waffle Maker, we used about ¾ per side) and cook until they reach your desired doneness.
Reserve until ready to serve.
Time to put together our Pumpkin Spice Waffle Sundaes. Begin by placing a single scoop (or more – we don’t judge) of the Vanilla Ice Cream in the center of your desired serving dish. Add a Pumpkin Spice Mickey Waffle to opposite sides of the dish. Using a squeeze bottle or spoon, drizzle the Salted Caramel Sauce on top of the Ice Cream. Top with a swirl of Whipped Cream and your desired amount of Halloween Sprinkles.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
This Pumpkin Spice Waffle Sundae hits all the Autumnal notes you’d be looking for in a Fall trip to Walt Disney World. Be sure to get a bite with each component because they all work together wonderfully.
The Waffles bring a depth of Pumpkin flavor along with hints of Cinnamon and Nutmeg. They’re complemented perfectly by the brightness from the Ice Cream. The Salted Caramel Sauce adds a beautiful pop of sweetness with that edge of Salt to balance the desserts flavor. Finally, the Whipped Cream brings an additional amount of lovely richness.
While this dessert won’t replace a trip to Disney World, it does bring a little bit of Fall in the Magic Kingdom home.
Make it this weekend and celebrate the season with your family!
Pumpkin Spice Waffle Sundae
Makes approximately 4 Sundaes
For the Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup – Granulated Sugar
- 6 oz – Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup – Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp – Salt
For the Pumpkin Mickey Waffles
- 2 – Eggs – Separated
- 1 cup – Pumpkin Purée
- 1 cup – Milk
- 4 tbls – Unsalted Butter – Melted
- ¼ cup – Light Brown Sugar – Packed
- 3 tbls – Cornstarch
- 1¼ cup – All-Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp – Baking Powder
- ½ tsp – Salt
- 2 tsp – Cinnamon
- 1 tsp – Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp – Ground Nutmeg
For the Pumpkin Spice Waffle Sundaes
- 1 pint – Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 can – Whipped Cream
- Halloween Themed Sprinkles
For the Salted Caramel Sauce
- Add the Granulated Sugar to a thick-bottom, medium sauce pan and place over medium heat
- Being careful not to let the Sugar burn, cook, while stirring regularly with a whisk or wooden spoon, until it has melted and reached a deep amber color
- Remove from heat and add the Unsalted Butter. Carefully whisk until completely incorporated
- Add the Heavy Cream and whisk until well blended
- Stir in the Salt and allow to cool completely
- Store in an air tight container until ready to serve or for up to 7 days in the refrigerator
For the Pumpkin Mickey Waffles
- Preheat your Mickey Waffle Maker (or whatever Waffle Iron you prefer) according to the unit’s instructions
- Separate the Eggs, placing the Whites into the bowl of an electric mixer and the Yolks in a different medium-sized bowl
- Add the Pumpkin Purée, Milk and Melted Butter to the Egg Yolks and stir until well combined
- Place the Light Brown Sugar and Cornstarch in a large bowl and combine. Add the All-Purpose Flour, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Ground Nutmeg and Salt and stir to combine
- Add the Pumpkin – Egg Yolk Mixture to the Flour Mixture and stir until well combined
- Whip the Egg Whites using an electric mixer until if forms stiff peaks
- Add half of the Whipped Egg Whites to the Waffle Batter and gently fold in until combined. Add the other half and repeat the folding process
- Coat the Waffle Maker with Cooking Spray and ladle the desired amount of batter on to the cooking surface. (I used about ¾ cup for my Mickey Waffles)
- Cook according to the Waffle Maker’s directions until the Pumpkin Mickey Waffles reach your desired amount of doneness
- Reserve until ready to serve
- Place one scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream in the center of a serving bowl or dish
- Place a Pumpkin Mickey Waffle on each side of the Ice Cream Scoop
- Using a squeeze bottle or spoon, drizzle the top with the Salted Caramel Sauce
- Top with Whipped Cream and Halloween Themed Sprinkles
- Serve immediately
Be sure to check out our other Pumpkin Disney Dishes