Yes, it’s another week of “Pumpkin Spice Season”…hmmmm…”Season”…Hey! I’ve got it. Let’s take this week’s recipe from Sunshine Seasons at Epcot! I just happen to know the perfect recipe.
They serve it there “seasonably” and it just happens to be a cup of Pumpkin deliciousness. It also happens to be a vegan recipe, making it perfect for everyone to enjoy.
I mean, it just makes sense.
So, this week’s Disney Dish is…(drum-roll please)…the Pumpkin Soup from Sunshine Seasons!
The items we’ll be using for today’s Pumpkin Soup from Sunshine Seasons recipe are pretty traditional for this kind of Disney Dish.
It does include Butternut Squash to add an extra amount of sweet, meatiness to the recipe. Also Coconut Milk to provide an extra bit of creamy, richness.
As for spices, they’re pretty traditional for a Pumpkin Soup, as well. Of course, the cinnamon may come as no surprise. However, you may be a little taken aback by the Curry Powder. Well, you’ll find that in a lot of similar recipes because it compliments the Pumpkin, so well.
I did make one change from the original recipe, however. The list of ingredients involved in this dish includes both Apple Juice Concentrate and Water. Since combining those two basically just makes Apple Juice, I decided to replace them both with a really nice quality A.J. I wasn’t disappointed with the results.
Let’s get this soup on!
It’s like Butter…Nut Squash that is
The first steps to our Pumpkin Soup from Sunshine Seasons, don’t include Pumpkin at all. Instead, we’re going to start with its gourd cousin; Butternut Squash. Remove the skin and seeds, and dice it into relatively small pieces; like in the above picture.
Next, dice a small Onion, as well. Add the chopped onion and butternut squash to a large pot with the Olive Oil and sauté over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
Everybody into the pool!
Now it’s time to get everybody else involved and, yes, that does include the Pumpkin.
Add the Pumpkin Purée to the softened Butternut Squash and Onion and stir to combine. Sauté for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Next add the Apple Juice (or Apple Juice Concentrate and Water), Light Agave Syrup, Vegetable Bouillon, Curry Powder, Salt, White Pepper, Cinnamon and Coconut Milk. Stir until well combined.
Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, then lower the heat. Simmer until all ingredients are cooked through and tender; about 35 to 45 minutes.
You’re so smooth!
Once we’re done simmering, it’s time to turn this mixture into the silky soup, you remember. Carefully pour the contents into your blender. Cover with a clean towel and purée until the liquid is completely smooth.
- You’ll notice I said that you should cover the top of the blender with a towel rather that with the cover that comes with it. That’s because of the steam that comes from the hot liquid. If you were to put the cover on, without giving the steam a way to escape…well…let’s just say, you could be painting the kitchen in a lovely new color of Pumpkin. Yep, if the steam can’t get out on it’s own, it will find a way out, along with a lot of the hot liquid, all over your kitchen. Yes, you will probably have to clean the towel. But that’s much better than the entire kitchen.
Once the Pumpkin Soup has been puréed to your desired consistency, taste it and adjust seasonings, as necessary. Pour into a medium-sized pot over low heat. You can also cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Serve warm garnished with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (if desired).
This recipe for Pumpkin Soup from Sunshine Seasons is fantastic! The soup, itself, is silky and luxurious. The Pumpkin and Butternut Squash add a nice “meatiness” to the dish that’s complimented by the spice that comes from the Curry Powder and Cinnamon. Meanwhile the Apple Juice brings a wonderful brightness to every spoonful.
It’s sweet, savory, comforting; and delicious.
The perfect Disney Dish to cuddle up with as the Autumn nights begin to get chillier.
Pumpkin Soup from Sunshine Seasons
Makes approximately 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tbls – Olive Oil
- Small Yellow Onion – Diced
- 1 cup – Butternut Squash – Diced
- 3 cups – Pumpkin Purée
- 1 tbls – Light Agave Syrup
- 2 cups – Good Quality Apple Juice (or ¼ cup apple juice concentrate & 2 cups water)
- 2 tsp – Vegetable Bouillon
- ½ tsp – Curry Powder
- 1 tsp – Kosher or Sea Salt
- ½ tsp – White Pepper
- ½ tsp – Cinnamon
- 1 cup – Coconut Milk
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds – For Garnish (if desired)
For the Pumpkin Soup
- Heat the Oil in a large pot over medium-high heat
- Add the diced Yellow Onion and Butternut Squash to the pot and sauté until tender; approximately 8 to 10 minutes
- Next, add the Pumpkin Purée, stir to incorporate and cook for an additional 1 minute
- Add the Light Apple Juice, Light Agave Syrup, Vegetable Bouillon, Curry Powder, Salt, White Pepper, Cinnamon and Coconut Milk and stir to combine
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the ingredients are tender; approximately 30 to 45 minutes
- Add the soup to a blender and purée until smooth
- Taste and adjust seasonings
- Serve warm with a garnish of roasted Pumpkin Seeds (if desired) or cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days
Be sure to check out our other Disney Dishes