Bright suns travelers! This week, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opened at the Disneyland Resort. Just as it had at the Walt Disney World Resort in December. So, we’re celebrating a fully operational Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge with one of the best Disney Dishes designed by the one and only Strono “Cookie” Tuggs; the Braised Shaak Roast from Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo.
Let’s get to it. Punch it Chewie!
Let’s start with exactly what “Shaak” happens to be. You can usually find them grazing in the Naboo grasslands like in the picture below.
Now, I don’t know about where you’re from, however Shaak meat can be very tough to find in our portion of the galaxy. The great news is that Beef happens to be a really wonderful substitute for it. So, if you’re purveyor gives you a puzzled look when you ask for a “Shaak Roast”; fear not. A Beef Chuck Pot Roast or Round Roast will work just fine.
The other interesting item is the choice of pasta. The recipe calls for Cavatelli or Orecchiette (I used Orecchiette). However, you can easily substitute something like Penne or Rotini. Feel free to use whatever you enjoy and/or have around the homestead.
Patience my young Padawan
One of the best things about this recipe for Braised Shaak Roast from Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo is that the prep work is not difficult or extensive. However, just like the title says, it is a braised dish. That means it’s going to take a decent amount of time to complete.
To start the braising process, add the Beef to a large pan with the sliced Garlic and Low-Sodium Soy Sauce. Add enough water to just cover the meat, place on a stove over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Allow to simmer for about 2 hours.
Once the Beef has cooked for about 2 hours, grab a pair of forks and carefully separate the meat into smaller pieces. Cover again and let simmer for at least 1 – 1 ½ more hours or until the meat is extremely tender.
Once the meat is completely cooked and very tender, remove it from the braising liquid to a pan or dish. Season to taste with Salt & Pepper and keep warm until you’re ready for service.
Meanwhile, taste the Braising Liquid and add Salt, Pepper and/or Sugar as desired and reserve for later use.
- Make sure the Braising Liquid has the taste you want because it plays an important part a couple of times in this completed recipe
Stay on target!
Now that our meat has completely cooked, it’s time to put our Braised Shaak Roast from Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo together.
Start by adding Water and Salt to a medium-sized pot and bringing it to a boil. Add your chosen pasta and cook according to the instructions on the package.
Meanwhile, place another large sauté pan on the stove over medium-high heat and add the Olive Oil. Once the oil has heated, add the Mushrooms and Pearl Onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften; about 5 to 7 minutes.
Deglaze the pan with about ½ cup of the Braising Liquid and stir to combine. Continue to cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated then remove from the heat and add the Kale. Stir to combine until the leaves have mostly wilted. Season to taste with Salt & Pepper.
Once the Pasta has cooked completely, strain, add it to the Mushrooms, Onions & Kale and stir to combine.
This is where the fun begins!
Time to plate our Braised Shaak Roast from Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo.
Start by adding about ¼ cup of the Braising Liquid to your choice of serving bowl or dish. Next, add the Mushroom, Onion, Kale and Pasta mixture followed by the cooked Shaak…errrrr…Beef. Top with the Shredded Carrots and a light sprinkle of the Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs. Serve immediately!
- Quick Note: The recipe keeps the Carrots raw. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, I prefer mine to more closely match the temperature of the rest of the dish. I also wanted to be sure they still kept the same amount of crispness the recipe intended. So, I threw them in a sauté pan with a little Oil, Salt & Pepper and cooked them for just a short time. The result was exactly what I hoped it would be; warm Carrots with a nice crunch when you bit into them.
The Force is strong with this one!
This recipe for Braised Shaak Roast from Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo will transport you right to Black Spire Outpost. The Meat is amazingly tender and tasty. The Mushrooms and Kale offer a wonderful earthiness complimented by the sweetness from the Pearl Onions. Meanwhile, the Pasta provides a perfect vessel for the luxurious Braising Liquid and the Carrots bring a brightness and crisp texture change to each bite.
Make this Disney Dish tonight in your homestead and your family will have only one thought…
Braised Shaak Roast from Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo
Makes approximately 4 servings
For the Braised Shaak Roast
- 2 – 3 lbs – Beef Chuck Pot Roast or Round Roast
- ½ cup – Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 – 4 cloves – Garlic – Sliced
- Water – As Needed
- Salt, Pepper & Sugar – To Taste
For the Serving Sides
- 8 oz – Cavatelli or Orecchiette Pasta
- Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups – Pearl Onions – Peeled
- 2 cups – Mushrooms – Sliced
- 1 ¼ cups – Fresh Kale – Hand Shredded
- ½ cup – Rainbow Carrots – Peeled & Julienned or Shredded
- Salt & Pepper – To Taste
For the Garnish
- 1 – 2 tbls – Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs
For the Braised Shaak Roast
- Place the Beef into a large pan with the Low-Sodium Soy Sauce and Sliced Garlic. Add enough water to just cover the Beef and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 2 hours
- Using two forks, carefully separate the Beef into smaller pieces and recover. Simmer for an additional 2 to 2 ½ hours; until the meat is very tender. Remove the cooked Beef from the Braising Liquid, place on a pan or plate and keep warm until service. Meanwhile, add Salt, Pepper and Sugar to the Braising Liquid, to taste, and reserve for service
For the Serving Sides
- Next, add Water & Salt to a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. Add the Pasta and cook to the package instructions
- Meanwhile, add the Olive Oil to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the Mushrooms and Pearl Onions and cook until the vegetables soften; about 5 to 7 minutes. Deglaze the pan with about ½ cup of the Braising Liquid and continue to cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated. Remove from the heat, add the Kale and cook until wilted slightly. Season with Salt & Pepper to taste
- Strain the cooked Pasta and add it to the Mushroom, Onion & Kale mixture. Stir until well combined
- Place about ¼ cup of the Braising Liquid into each serving bowl. Next, add the Mushroom, Onion, Kale & Pasta mixture followed by a serving of the Braised Beef. Top with the julienned Rainbow Carrots and a light sprinkle of Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs
- Serve immediately
Be sure to check out our other Disney Dishes